Friday, October 16, 2015

Batty for Bats!

We're getting closer to our SPOOKY week.  We started out by taking a poll of who thinks bats are creepy or cute, courtesy of Cara Carroll's Batty Graph.  Surprisingly, most of my students think they're cute.

In my art center, my students just cut and paste some bats to hang around our room.


In one of my centers, they made a predictive text (mirroring Brown Bear).  This is a great way to help build confidence in beginning readers.  You can download the printable book (nothing fancy!!) by clicking on the picture:

I found this video on YouTube.  It's about the world's largest bat.

We also read Stellaluna by listening to Pamela Reed read the book to us.  Are you familiar with Storyline Online?  Love this site!

One of my favorite books about bats is
 

After lots of learning about nocturnal animals, we made little informational bats.  This is an old one, so there's nothing digital about it.  I'm pretty sure I got it from Mailbox Magazine.

At the end of the week, they made a bat craft and acrostic poem to display out in the hall.  I got these for FREE from A Cupcake for the Teacher.  Super cute!  We wrote the poem together.  Then we discussed what they'd learned about bats.  In the bottom box, they drew a picture of one thing they'd learned.

Have a batty week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please check your profile setting!! I'd love to reply to your comment via email. In account settings, make sure a check is next to your email address. Thanks for stopping by! ~kim