Saturday, November 15, 2014

I'm PROUD!

Two years ago I started such a special tradition:  Friday Circle.  Some background first-  I love Responsive Classroom.  This program helps teachers focus on positive reinforcement and create a classroom dependent on respect- for the teachers AND the students.  Every morning we begin the day with a meeting- a greeting to each student, a few shares about our lives, and information about our day (in the form of a written letter from me and any random classroom announcements).

Then I came up with the idea of a Friday Circle.  At the very end of the day, we sit for just a minute and reflect on our week.  They let me know they're ready with thumbs-up on their knees.  Then we share something we're proud of, either academically or behaviorally.  At the beginning of the year, I discussed the difference between being proud of yourself and bragging.  We go around the circle, and everyone has to start with, "I'm proud..."

I hear, "I proud that I got 3 stars on my card."
"I'm proud that I helped a friend at Recess."  (Then I'll ask him to be more specific.)
"I'm proud I earned another point for Accelerated Reader."

It's such a sweet time of reflection.




2 comments:

  1. Love this idea so much I shared it on my Five on the Fifth post. What an awesome way to build a community of learners!

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Please check your profile setting!! I'd love to reply to your comment via email. In account settings, make sure a check is next to your email address. Thanks for stopping by! ~kim