Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Lorax

Here are some ideas you could incorporate THIS Arbor Day (Friday) or next Earth Day.  My grade level did a display of various Dr. Seuss books.  I'm a bit of an Earth-lover, so I picked The Lorax.

Here are my students, hard at work on murals.  I had each group draw beginning, middle, middle, end.  Before I sent them to their tables, we discussed which plot-point they should illustrate.


I also hand-cut (talk about frustrating!!) truffala trees as an anchor chart for literary elements.

As a class, we also came up with ways to care for our Earth.

On the other side of the hallway, I displayed individual work.

I found this cute little craft HERE.

And how cute do my friends look AS the Lorax??  We brainstormed what a tree might say.

Every time I go to DisneyWorld, I'm drawn to the Simba short about our Earth (It's in Epcot, in the Land exhibit).  I have always found it to be so powerful.  I found a boot-leg version here.

Here are a couple more videos:
Energy, Let's Save It!
Schoolhouse Rock: Energy Blues

And I love Have Fun Teaching's Going Green Song.  When I taught 2nd we actually performed this for parents. =)

Happy Earth Day... EVERY day!! =)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please check your profile setting!! I'd love to reply to your comment via email. In account settings, make sure a check is next to your email address. Thanks for stopping by! ~kim